With the data spread across internet, by now you would be knowing that SSDs (solid-state drives) are for some reason way lot better than traditional HDDs (hard disk drive).
Without going overboard about the intricate technical details on this topic, we are broadly listing out all the essential deciding factors on why you should be choosing a laptop with SSD and exactly which laptop would satisfy your needs. Be it for gaming, graphics, a budget-friendly one, or the premium variant if you do not want to compromise on any aspect.
Before diving into the best laptops with SSDs, as promised here are the main factors you might want to consider in choosing laptops with SSDs.
Minimum Requirements for buying SSD Laptop
- Reliability: While HDDs efficiency depends on the rotation per minute (RPM) the drive rotates to read or write the data, an SSD as the name suggests is an independent drive that mainly depends on the technology and the connection of the drive. SSDs have NAND (negative-AND) technology. The more NAND memory chips, the more storage capacity an SSD can have. Since SSDs do not involve any moving parts like HDD, the drives are much more heat resistant, giving a longer life.
- Speed: HDDs are notoriously slower compared to SSDs because they depend on the physical rotation of the drive, unlike SSD as discussed above. An SSD offers compatibility with the traditional SATA III ports where they can be easily replaced in place of HDD, and other connections like M.2, or the latest technology NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) that offers mind-blowing fast data transfer speed.
- Cost: SSDs, without any doubt, are more expensive per gigabyte than HDDs. But you might want to give a try on the SSDs with SATA III connection which is cheaper than M2 and the NVMe variants. Or might we suggest you go for a smaller SSD, say around 160GB-256GB, for supporting your operating system where speed matters the most, and utilize HDD for storing larger files.
So now that we are sorted in the main factors for considering an SSD over HDD, let us give you a list of best laptops with SSD for gaming, designing, best for budget, Ultrabook with SSD, or a laptop that suits any varying need.
Review of 10 best gaming laptops with ssd of 2021
Dell XPS 9750H – Best gaming laptop with 1TB SSD
This beast from Dell power packs everything one would be dreaming of in the best SSD laptop. With not only a whopping 1 TB of M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD, this machine also has a 15.6-inch 4K UHD display with not to forget an intel core i7 9th gen processor.
Not going so easy on graphics too, the Dell XPS 9750 has a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 graphics card making it the best choice of laptop for gaming, video editing, graphic designing, photography, what not?
The battery in this laptop is another key specification that needs attention. This machine is backed up with as claimed a 6-Cell 97Whr integrated battery that also has an external battery indicator just like you get in Mac Notebooks.
- 1 TB PCIe SSD
- InfinityEdge anti-reflective touch IPS display
- Backlit keyboard
- Fingerprint reader
- Great graphics
- Killer AX1650 wireless feature with automatic detection of the best speed
- Little bit on the heavier side
Apple MacBook Air – Best Budget Mac with SSD
Coming from the house of Apple, the all-new MacBook 2020 homes an SSD ranging from 256 GB to 512 GB. The SSD which claims to be a “Fast SSD” is good enough for the OS and all heavy-duty apps together, considering enough room for storage of up to 512 GB.
Coming with a stunning 13.3 inch LED backlit retina display enhanced with True Tone technology, this laptop is secured with the popular Touch ID and backed up with 1.1 GHz quad-core 10th gen Intel core i5 processor-best suited for performance demanding apps.
What’s more? The all new Macbook Air 2020 comes with a lower price for the entry variant. No more hesitation to get your hands on this elegant piece.
- Two thunderbolt 3 USB-C ports
- 2 meter long USB-C charging cable
- Backlit magic keyboard
- Touch ID
- 1 TB SSD variant not available, but can be upgraded anytime
Asus Vivobook S – Best gaming laptop using SSD and HDD combo
With 128 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD, the Asus Vivobook S features an intel core i7 processor plus 8GB DDR4 RAM- a perfect combo when it comes to performance and value.
The stylish design with the claimed “NanoEdge Bezel” coupled with a 15.6” FHD display is not easier to let go either. Coupled with ultra-fast dual-band 802.11 ac Wi-Fi, this laptop provides a 6x faster speed.
This laptop has an integrated intel HD graphics card, which means you can play games like Minecraft to pass the time.
Overall, this is the best solid state drive laptop since it acts like a pro in matters like speed with an SSD, capacity with an HDD, and other factors like design and display.
- 178-degree wide viewing angle
- Back lit keyboard
- Option to increase and decrease backlit keyboard
- 4 color modes for indicating battery levels
- Fingerprint sensor
- No dedicated graphics card
- VGA webcam camera
Also read: Best laptops with dvd drive
Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop – Best budget SSD laptop
With a price tag of less than $350, the Acer Aspire laptop is loved by many no doubt, not only because it’s the cheapest SSD laptop but also the wide variety of specs it offers.
First cum first, this laptop provides 128GB PCIe NVMe SSD with additional space for HDD, so that it can be upgraded anytime in future. This gives you the freedom from spending right now when you are on a budget but never to lose hope as well.
Designed in narrow bezels, this laptop has a 15.6” FHD IPS display accompanied by Acer BlueLightShield technology that protects your eyes from those long hours of strain. Also, the AMD Ryzen 3 3200U Mobile Processor with Radeon Vega 3 Graphics gives an enhanced performance while supporting low demanding games as well.
- Backlit keyboard
- Additional drive for HDD
- M.2 SSD, which means you can convert this slot also to HDD
- Integrated graphics
- Battery life of up to 7.5 hours
- HD webcam-good enough for attending zoom calls and meetings
- Key backlit is timed-turns off after set amount of time
- Many users find S-mode disturbing-but this can be easily switched off
Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54-5812 – Best Budget SSD Gaming Laptop
No doubt, Acer Nitro grabbed the place in gaming category in this article not just because of the graphics card, but also the fact that it is backed up with the latest technology of SSD- the NVMe!
The storage in Acer Nitro laptop is a solid 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots) with an additional slot available for you to upgrade anytime in the future.
This gaming laptop is available in a 15.6” FHD IPS display powered by NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with 4GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM, and 8GB DDR4 2666MHz memory, making it the perfect companion for playing high-end games without compromising on the speed (thanks to the NVMe SSD) and the graphics.
Another feature worth mentioning here is the new addition of the RJ-45 port that boosts up the LAN connectivity and speed.
- Latest technology of SSD-NVMe
- Backlit keyboard
- Room for upgrading- additional slots for hard drive and SSD
- Upgraded cooling technology
- No SD card slot
- Tinny sound effect
- Not so great camera
HP Spectre x360 Laptop – Best laptop with 2TB SSD
Storage has no limits! Definitely yes, when it comes to HP Spectre which gives you a mind-blowing 2TB PCIe SSD.
This laptop also gives some of the premium features like a 4K UHD touchscreen display for a 15.6” display, an active pen inside the packaging. Coming to the specs, the HP Spectre has a built-in Intel Core i7-9750H 2.60GHz processor powered by NVIDIA GTX 1650 [Max-Q] 4GB GDDR5 graphics which can support low to medium graphic demanding games well.
You also get the flexibility of using this laptop as a tablet or for doodling purposes in those not so productive times, with the active HP Stylus, included, making it a perfect companion for travels and relaxation.
- 4K UHD touch display
- HP Active stylus included as a free accessory
- Dedicated number pad
- 1080p FHD IR webcam
- Fingerprint reader for security
- Backlit display
- No internal optical drive
- Integrated graphics
- Lagging issues by some users
Lenovo Flex – Best 2 in 1 SSD Laptop
Want a laptop that’s there for you while you work, and also while you want to relax? Like this Lenovo Flex 5 laptop which is an overall champion in this segment.
One feature that sets other 2 in 1 laptop apart from this one is that the Lenovo Flex 5 comes with the advanced 256GB M.2 NVMe solid-state hard drive, powered by the AMD Ryzen 5 4500U Processor, coupled with six cores and 16GB DDR4, there is nothing that you can challenge this laptop for any lagging issues.
This laptop is so thin, not even an inch thick when closed, which is why we have picked this up that will suit both your work and relax modes. Another great feature this laptop has to offer is the physical privacy shutter on the camera, taking seriousness of your privacy to the next level.
- Digital pen accessory included in the box
- Enhanced privacy with the inclusion of physical privacy shutter
- Complete 360-degree hinge that can support 4 modes-laptop, tent, stand, and tablet
- No dedicated graphics card
- RAM is soldered to the motherboard
Acer Predator Helios 300 – Best Premium SSD Gaming Laptop
Hands down, Acer Predator is by far loved by almost everyone in the gaming community. What makes it more special in addition to the gaming specs is the 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD, which cannot miss anybody’s attention.
Plus, you also get another 2.5” inch slot for second drive for more storage. Which means, you can install HDD and forget about storage issues anymore.
With its eye-catching RGB backlit keyboard, the Acer Predator has many hardcore specs for a gaming laptop like 16 GB DDR4 2666MHz Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Graphics with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM and of course, the 9th Generation Intel Core i7-9750H 6-Core Processor.
To wrap up, this laptop is the best gaming laptop with amazing SSD-eyes closed, if you are ready to spend more.
- 2 x PCIe M. 2 Slots with 1 additional open slot that is available for upgrade anytime in future
- Enhanced cooling technology with the latest 4th Gen Aeroblade 3D fan
- Killer Doubleshot Pro wireless feature-allows band with prioritization
- Backlit RGB keyboard with optimal spacing
- Dedicated number pad
- No fingerprint security
Acer Swift 3 – Best Lightweight SSD laptop
A laptop that is just 0.63” thin that has a 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD. Of course, this has to be in our list.
Not being so light on the specifications, the Acer Swift 3 has an octa-core AMD Ryzen 7 4700U processor, with 8GB LPDDR4 Memory, and integrated Radeon Graphics, which means these specs coupled with the SSD gives you the performance you desire.
While the laptop is also equally strong in terms of security, by having an in-built fingerprint reader, the keyboard is one more feature worth mentioning here for its superb built quality, all under $700 for a laptop not so heavy in your hands as well as on your pocket.
- Very light- about 2.65 lbs only
- AMD Ryzen 4000 series processor
- Fingerprint security
- Backlit keyboard
- Soldered RAM
- Weird placement of some keys like delete key beside the power option
Buyer’s Guide for Best gaming laptops with SSD
When buying any laptop with SSD, you might want to keep some more points in check, because compared to the traditional HDD laptops, the SSD ones are on the expensive side. Nevertheless, the specifications these SSD laptops offer will be worth every penny.
If you are on a budget, go for a small variant of SSD say around, 128 GB and store all the speed demanding applications like the operating system, and rest of the applications can be stored in the HDD. This will not only boost up the overall booting speed of the laptop, but will also help in reducing the heating issues, since the laptop need not depend solely on the constantly rotating HDDs.
Also, it always preferable to buy a laptop with extra slots for memory and RAM, so that the upgrades will be much more convenient and flexible anytime in future.
Frequently asked Questions
Are SSD laptops expensive?
Yes, they are. Considering the fact that SSDs use a much latest technology than HDDs.
Is it worth for having an SSD in laptop?
Of course, it is. By not having any moving parts, unlike HDDs, the SSDs are much more reliable in saving your data since there is no fear of wear and tear or corruption of data. Not forgetting the fact that they make your laptops super-fast and extremely responsive.
Why choose SSD laptop over HDD?
Because of the mere fact that SSDs store and retrieve data almost 5x more than HDDs.
Should I get SSD or HDD laptop?
If you are buying a new laptop and want the best of all features, better go an all SSD laptop. But in case you are on a budget, then we suggest you to go for a mix of SSD and HDD combo as already mentioned above.
What is meant by 1 TB HDD and 128 GB SSD in a laptop mean?
This means that the total memory in that laptop is a cumulative of two kinds of storage, i.e 1TB of HDD PLUS 128 GB SSD, which means you get more than 1TB actual storage capacity. In which you can push all the speed responsive applications like OS to SSD which is much more responsive, and store other data like photos and movies in HDD.
With all the possible information on laptops with SSD, the deciding factors behind buying one that suits your requirements and picking out only the best laptop in these variants, we expect you no longer have the doubt of whether or not to buy an SSD laptop, or if you do want to buy, by now you would be clear of which laptop is best suited for you.