In 2021, an average gamer spends most of the time in his/her chair of 6-12 hours. Best gaming chairs are built in a way to give a comfort for long hours.
There are lots of things that can hurt your gaming experience. A bad sitting position is one of them and can lead to long-term negative effects. If you’re wary of the numbness, backaches, and even postural defects resulting from sitting in poorly designed chairs, you might want to give the best gaming chairs a try. The best PC gaming chairs are sturdy, durable, and snug-fitting. They’re ergonomically designed to support your back and cater to your curves firmly.
However, choosing the right one can be quite tricky, given the multiplicity of factors to consider and models to choose from. You can easily fritter away copious hours sifting through options. That’s why we’ve spent a whole lot more of our time doing that for you, so you don’t have to go searching all over again. Nevertheless, if you still want to do a little more digging, we’ve identified key factors you need to consider to ensure you don’t end up with a product that feels out of place.
How We Streamlined The Best Computer Gaming Chairs 2021
Sitting is something we take for granted. We spend most of our working hours seated in front of our desks. However, this review made us much more conscious of our sitting. When we sat to test the gaming chairs, we were much more conscious about ergonomic factors like comfort and support. We also paid close attention to seat height, armrest, and headrest.
It is good to note that we considered these factors from a different perspective. For example, while support and comfort when sitting for work need to make for an upright sitting position, during gaming, these factors should be geared towards a reclining sitting position. When seated for gaming, you should feel more relaxed and laid back.
Considering these, good gaming seats should provide a locking backrest and some form of tension control. A seat pan slider is another feature for greater comfort in a reclining position, though it’s only found in office-style seats. With this feature, you can easily slide your bottom back and forth to adjust better on the backrest, depending on your height.
Nonetheless, all our picks come with adjustable features, including backrests and armrests. We also gauged seats based on materials, although this factor is mostly about aesthetics, which is a matter of personal preference. Our picks come with splendid leathers, vinyl, and breathable mesh. The last option is ideal if you’re looking for better heat dissipation qualities.
Review of The Best Gaming Chairs of 2021
Let’s get started with best gaming chair edition of 2021
Respawn – 200 Racing Style Gaming Chair— Best budget PC gaming chair
At a budget price, the Respawn-200 provides you with several features found in high-end models. However, one aspect where it comes up short when compared to high-end models is its lack of padded armrests. But considering its much lower price, it can easily earn the forgiveness of users.
There’s also the limited adjustment that users might be wary of. You can only adjust its height and depth. It lacks width adjustment, and its armrest is almost permanently locked in place. But fortunately, the model makes up for comfort in many other ways.
Unlike many other models, it sports a breathable mesh that allows for excellent heat dissipation. This can be a huge boon during intense, stressful games. The breathable mesh is also integrated with special lumbar support. But to adjust the lumbar support, you need to reach for the vents behind your back. Although this might be quite inconvenient, it’s a set-and-forget mechanism, so you won’t have to adjust it twice.
Overall, the product provides one of the best value-to-price ratios. The Respawn 200 also provides you with a variety of colors to choose from if aesthetics are a big deal for you. There’s also a glossy plastic finish to further enhance its chic appearance.
- Breathable mesh for excellent heat dissipation
- An adjustable lumbar and neck support
- Its height is quite high and adjustable
- The armrest is hardly adjustable
- The height can only be adjusted within a few inches
Respawn is the best budget gaming chair you can buy for the price.
Office Star ProGrid— Best under $200
Another model that fairs quite well in comparison to high-end models is the Office Star. This product boasts excellent adjustability. It sports multiple adjustment levers and buttons.
Its excellent adjustability makes it well-suited for people with various body builds. It’s super easy to tweak the height, tilt it backward, and slide the pan back and forth. It also allows you to easily adjust the armrest in four directions: up/down, back and forth.
With its slew of levers, you might struggle to get the settings right initially. However, once you adjust it correctly the first time, you’ll have adjusted it for good. As a low-end product, it gives customers quite an impressive array of adjustment options. The mesh back material also does a great job of enhancing comfort. As a result, the Office Star Pro grid has amass rave reviews.
- A wide range of adjustment options
- Offers great comfort
- A breathable mesh material
- The range of adjustment functions can be daunting at first
Secretlab Omega— The best PC gaming chair 2021
From the first impression, you won’t find it hard to believe that this chair stands out among the creme-of-the-crop. But there’s more to Secretlab Omega than the discreet logo and excellent craftsmanship that meet the eye. The entirety of the product is made with the highest grade of materials, including the armrests, backrest, lift mechanism, and casters.
The Secretlab’s 2020 feature enhancements are clearly on display in this product, including the company’s super-durable PU Leather 2.0. The premium build of the armrest makes for super-swift adjustment. The seat’s cold-cured foam is another top-notch component, although you might need to use it for some time before it softens into a more comfortable feel.
Perhaps, among these excellent feature enhancements, the most outstanding are the velour memory foam used in its lumbar and head pillows. Studded with these impressive features, Secretlab Omega is a highly immersive seat that can easily make you lose awareness of your environment.
- Made from materials of the highest build
- A highly flexible tilt mechanism
- Lumbar and head pillows fitted with velour memory foam
- Excellent back support
- Assembly can be quite difficult
- Lumbar support pillows are not fixed
DXRacer Classic Series – Best heavy duty gaming chair
Plus-sized gamers may find it hard to pick a gaming chair that fits them comfortably. Unlike most large-sized gaming chairs, this DXRacer model is built to take up gamers with large, and tall build effortlessly.
The model also stands up firmly to the weight of plus-sized players. You may find its firmness a little discomfiting initially, but after a few days of use, the seat will open up more to allow for much greater relaxation. It also makes for great comfort thanks to its easily adjustable features.
With a firmness that provides robust support for your spinal cord as well as easily adjustable features, this DXRacer model can wrap up your body in a snug-fit manner. As a result, the seat can be as comfortable and cozy for large frames as it can for people with smaller build.
- Ideal for the weight and size of plus-sized people
- Comes with a great combination of adjustability and firmness
- A sturdy, durable build
- Poor heat dissipation as the material isn’t breathable
DXRacer OH/FD101/NG Gaming Chair – Best with Footrest
This DXRacer model is designed to infuse more thrill into gameplays. As an excellent racing style gaming chair, this model comes with a variety of fabulous features. Like most of the best gaming chairs in this review, this unit comes with an adjustable backrest that allows for angle adjustment.
You’ll also find it quite comfortable because of its adjustable armrest. Coupled with its footrest, these adjustable features can keep you seated for hours without a hitch. The product also comes with a sturdy base and a robust overall build which boost the urge to continue gaming. All of these features combine to make the product highly suitable for use for people with small as well as large frames.
Another prominent feature that marks OH/FD101/NG apart from other gaming chairs is its patented race car seat design. This seat design will surely rock your gaming space.
- Robust support for your neck and spine
- Great adjustability that makes it a good fit for people of all sizes
- Excellent aesthetics that enhance the flair of your gaming space
- Sports a breathable material that enhances airflow
- Lacks a tilt lock, leaving it up to you to keep to a tilted seating position, which might be quite discomforting.
Steelcase Gesture – Best for Comfort
Some years ago, the Steelcase Leap won Wirecutter’s best office chair. Steelcase is poised to build on that success with the Steelcase Gesture, which boasts top-notch features that enhance comfort.
It makes for a memorable relaxation, so much so that most buyers forget about the amount they shelled out to purchase the item. This model beats every other model in this review when it comes to coziness and comfort.
The best part is that after you must have paid the hefty sum for the product, you’re guaranteed to never do so again for life. Yes, the Steelcase Gesture comes with a stunning lifetime warranty.
- The most comfortable chair in the market
- A variety of color options
- An industry-best lifetime warranty
- It comes at a steep price
Neuer Chair – Best for offices
A sturdy, heavy build to withstand long hours of sitting can make for a great office chair. The Neuer chair, as the best gaming chair for office use, offers this and a whole lot more. It comes with a design that flies high in terms of stylishness, whether you opt for the muted obsidian or chrome/silver finish. The chic design also comes with intricate curves which envelop its lovely black mesh.
The weight of the chair out of the box gives a firm impression of the sturdy, industrial construct. But that shouldn’t get you intimidated though, as the product is fairly easy to couple together.
With just two pieces to fix together, setting up the chair is as simple as attaching the casters and tightening them firmly. The product also allows you to adjust nearly every part of it easily. You can adjust the armrest in three directions to make for a perfect fit for your forearms and elbows. With the adjustable lumbar support, you can quickly move the backrest according to the height and depth you’re comfortable with.
- A sturdy, durable industrial construct
- Excellent versatility with highly adjustable parts
- Provides excellent support and comfort
- Comes at a high-end price
Ace Bayou X Rocker 5143601— Best with Speakers
This model is an archetypal modern gaming seat. It packs a punch of features that makes for a scintillating gaming space. Its crown jewel is its audio system, which comprises of two speakers in the headrest and a subwoofer nestled in the seat. These features come in a highly sturdy, durable build.
As a result of its fabulous attributes, the model tends to charge gamers to a point where it gets abused. The manufacturers are aware of this and have made the chair as solid and durable as they come. It’s specially built to withstand heavy use by young users, so much so that some users believe it’s filled with bricks.
Assembling this unit is a cakewalk. You can also easily adjust its parts, including its armrest. Its appealing appearance is another feature that stands out. Its black vinyl material blends seamlessly with just about any color accent, enhancing the vibes of gaming space.
- A sturdy, highly durable build that makes it ideal for nonchalant younger users
- A high-grade sound system that integrates a subwoofer
- Adjustable armrest for enhanced comfort
- No USB ports to connect the sound system with other media devices
- The sound system lacks surround sound
X Rocker Pro Series H3— Best Gaming Chair with Vibration
If you want to feel your gaming experience in every fiber of your being, then this chair is right up your alley. It has a lot in common with the Ace Bayou X Rocker, but it’s a little more advanced. Unlike the Ace Bayou X Rocker, its sound system integrates sound surround— a 4.1 surround. It also comes with 2 speakers on the headrest and features an additional 2 on the side.
However, the main feature that gives it a huge edge over the Ace Bayou X Rocker and other models is its vibration. It can turn out an invigorating rocker for Nintendo, Xbox, and PlayStation games. You can also enjoy this rocker chair with a wide range of games, thanks to its broad compatibility. There’s also a subwoofer tucked away in the seat.
The chair is assembled for the most part in the packaging, significantly minimizing assembly requirements. It also comes with a foldable design that makes it super easy to stow away when not in use. Its vinyl covering makes for quite a luxurious feel. The cover comes in a neutral black color that blends in well with most color palettes.
- Surround sound and subwoofer that amps up the heat of a game
- Supports both wireless and wired audio
- Vibration and rocking motions that ramp up the intensity of games
- Lacks USB ports for connecting to other devices
- Users may get addicted to sitting on it
Office Master OM5— The Best with a Self-Adjustable Mechanism
It might sound like something straight out of a sci-fi movie, but the automated adjustment of Office master OM5 is a real deal. This model transcends from modern to futuristic, thanks to its self-adjusting mechanism which automatically responds to your body weight and size.
The underlying mechanism is its motorized pan, which shifts forward as the backrest reclines when you mount the chair and apply pressure by leaning back. It provides you with a nearly perfect adjustment to suit your back and hip. As a result, it negates the need for pushing and turning buttons and levers to achieve a relaxed sitting position.
It also allows for manual adjustment for even greater convenience. However, the best part is that these high-end convenience features come at a mid-range price.
- Highly sensitive automatic adjustments
- Comes in customizable colors
- Allows for manual adjustments to enhance further the comfort of automatic adjustments
- Provides high-end features at a mid-price range
- The manual adjustment is quite superficial
Buying Guide of The Best Gaming chair for 2021
The Advantages of a Good Gaming Chair
Enhanced Comfort: According to studies published in BioMed central, ergonomic chairs significantly improve musculoskeletal health of people who spend long hours in a seated position.
With less pressure and pain in your musculoskeletal regions, you can sit comfortably for hours playing your favorite games. However, if your chair does not provide adequate lumbar support, your spine and neck will be subject to increasing pressure and pain.
Enhanced productivity: With adequate support for your neck and spine, you won’t be disrupted by the discomfort of poor sitting positions. Studies carried out by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) prove that ergonomic furniture significantly increases workers productivity. That implies that anyone sitting for long hours, including gamers, can improve their physical and mental outputs by using ergonomic seats.
Gaming chairs are specifically designed to support your posture during gaming activities. They come in three distinct designs to provide more streamlined advantages.
Types of Gaming Chairs
Rocker: Some quarters have profited from promulgating the notion that you game harder when you seat closer to the ground. However, the rocker seat in this review (Ace Bayou X Rocker 5143601) does a whole lot more than bring gamers closer to the ground.
Typical rocker gaming chairs come without legs, so they don’t rock or swivel, though their rocker pick does. Besides that, they’re no different from the other types. They come with robust headrests and lumbar support. Most come with excellent adjustability, providing users with an array of knobs and levers.
Racer: Inspired by bucket seats in sports cars, racer gaming seats are designed for a highly immersive gaming experience. Their design scores highly in terms of aesthetics as well as ergonomics. Some models even go as far as integrating pedal/wheel support pads, gas/brake foot pedals and steering wheels to make for an even more immersive gaming experience.
Another key factor that marks most of them is their shared use of PVC leather and genuine leather in place of a material combo commonly used in other products. They also stand out in terms of adjustability, featuring a slew of knobs and buttons while present you with tilt and swivel features.
Office: With their industrial, traditional build, the office type of gaming chairs are great for a gaming space that doubles as a workspace. Some do come with brilliant aesthetics rather than the usual muted appearance.
Office gaming chairs don’t offer much support for a reclining position, geared towards an upright sitting setup. Most lack headrests or lumbar support, but they still provide good sustenance for your spine and back. You will also find many that provide several adjustment features, including those for adjusting armrests, recline, and height. However, most of these adjustment features are usually geared towards an upright sitting position.
The above are only highlights of standard features that differentiate gaming chairs. But what about the elements of a good gaming chair?
What Makes a Good Gaming Chair?
Here’s a quick look at the various aspects of a good gaming seat:
- Support: A good gaming seat provides optimum support for your neck and spine, providing you with headrests, armrests, and lumbar backing.
- Comfort: Besides support, the best gaming chairs also make for splendid comfort. They cup up your backside and bottom in a cozy embrace.
- Adjustment features: In addition to providing support features, the best gaming seats also make these attributes adjustable, including the height, armrest, tilt, and back height. Some also allow for adjustable tilt, swiveling, and other functionalities that make it easy to adjust your seated position.
Note, however, that the more adjustable a product is, the more it tends to command a higher price.
- Durability: All our reviewed products come with multi-year warranties, thanks to their confidence-boosting endurance. Their internal frame is made of highly durable materials like steel, and their body, armrest, padding, and cover usually feature cold cured foam, memory foam, velour foam, polyurethane, and even genuine leather. You can rest assured that the best gaming seats will serve you for weeks, months, and even years.
- Compatibility with other devices: Gaming chairs are compatible with consoles or PCs. But the best gaming chairs are suitable with a wider range of devices such as gas/brake pads, steering wheels, monitor stands, racing keyboard stands, audio inputs, flight simulation packs.
How to Choose the Best Gaming Chair for you in 2021
While certain features make for the best gaming chair, that’s not all there is to it if you are really gunning for the gaming chair that fits you. So, how do you go about choosing the best gaming chair for you? It’s actually a pretty straight forward process.
Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Make a budget: A fixed budget makes it easier to streamline your search. For instance, if you’re on a low-budget, you’ll spend less time on adjustment features; remembering that the greater the array of adjustment features, the higher the cost.
- Measure your weight and dimensions: people are deeply unique. Hence, not everyone will feel comfortable in any gaming chair they find no matter the specs. Some gaming seats are built specifically for small-sized people, while others are crafted for people with large frames. You should also ensure that the gaming seat you choose can adequately support your weight.
- Determine your special needs: Do you sweat a lot? Do you struggle with back pain or any chronic pain? These are some things that you need to consider when picking a gaming seat. You don’t want to purchase your dream chair only to find out that it can’t suit those your unique needs.
- Determine how you’ll use the chair: Where do you plan on using the chair— your workspace, bedroom, or living room? How much time will you spend seated on it? Will you be moving it around to use in different places? This will allow you to better identify the chair that matches based on your environment.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can a gaming chair improve my gameplay in 2021?
Game chairs come with several features that eliminate distractions resulting from an uncomfortable seating position. Many of them come with additional immersive features such as audio inputs, vibration, steering wheels, etc.
- Are gaming chairs really that different from other chairs?
Yes, gaming chairs are designed to provide maximal support in a reclining sitting position, which is the norm in gaming space. Some are compatible with other specific gaming consoles and PCs to enhance your gaming experience.
- What if my height is too tall for my gaming chair?
Most gaming chairs come with adjustable heights and lumbar support, which make them suitable for people with various heights.
That’s it, folks. That’s all you need to know to kick the pain of elongated sitting to the curbs. With the best gaming chairs, you won’t have to twist and turn in your seats during game time because of some nagging pain. Follow the steps we’ve outlined above to choose the best gaming chair for you, and start your window shopping with the ones we’ve reviewed in this dossier.